Is it true that milk thistle supplements can be contaminated with toxins that can be harmful to the liver?
Milk thistle is often taken to help protect the liver, but ironically, it can be contaminated with yeast and mold (fungi) which create toxins that are potentially harmful
to the liver. These organisms are known to grow on milk thistle if not properly dried and stored after harvest. The yeast and mold, and significant levels of toxins, are most commonly found in products made of whole milk thistle seed and cut herbs, but are less likely in other types of milk thistle supplements, as explained in the "Concerns and Cautions" section of the Milk Thistle Supplements Review >>
Also see these related CL Answers:
Is there a risk of liver toxicity with certain supplements? >>
This CL Answer initially posted on 3/25/2017.
Last updated 7/25/2017.