HOW PRODUCTS WERE EVALUATED:
How Products were Selected:
Products were selected to represent those commonly sold and/or available nationally in the U.S. and Canada. ConsumerLab.com purchased products on the open market through retail stores, on-line retailers, catalogues, or multi-level marketing companies. Products were not accepted directly from manufacturers.
Any product not passing initial testing criteria was sent to a second independent laboratory for repeat analysis using similar methodologies.
- Identification and quantification of CoQ10 (ubiquinone) and/or ubiquinol by High Performance Liquid chromatography (HPLC).
- Disintegration of non-chewable, non-capsule and non-time-release formulations analyzed utilizing United States Pharmacopeia (USP) <2040> recommendations entitled "Disintegration and Dissolution of Nutritional Supplements".
The identities of the products were not disclosed to the laboratories performing the testing.
To achieve a "Pass" in the testing, a product had to:
A "Pass" was based on meeting the above criteria in either the first or second rounds of testing.
- Contain at least 100% of its labeled amount of CoQ10 and/or ubiquinol and no more than 150% of this amount.
- If applicable to the product, it must meet recommended USP <2040> parameters of disintegration for dietary supplements (excluding capsule, chewable and time-release products).
- Meet FDA labeling requirements.
* Passing scores allow for specific margins of technical error associated with each analysis. ConsumerLab.com reserves the right to disqualify a product at any time from passing if it considers such product to present a safety risk or to provide misleading or inaccurate label information.
Back to review