31% of Protein Powders and Drinks Fail Tests by ConsumerLab.com
— Quality of Whey, Casein, Soy and Rice Protein Supplements for Body Building, Recovery, Meal-Replacement and Dieting Reviewed —
White Plains, New York – June 11, 2013 — What’s really in a scoop of “protein powder”? In some products, a lot less protein or a lot more carbohydrates than you would expect, and perhaps even a serving of something you don’t want -- lead. That’s according to recent tests by ConsumerLab.com which purchased, tested, and reviewed the quality of a broad range of protein powders and drinks used for everything from body building to dieting. Americans spend more than $3 billion each year on sports nutrition powders and formulas according to Nutrition Business Journal.
· a protein powder from a popular brand was missing 16 grams of protein per scoop -- the majority of the protein it promised. Instead, it contained an extra 16 grams of carbohydrates (including an extra 3 grams of sugar)
· a powdered meal replacement shake was contaminated with 12.7 mcg of lead per serving (far more than permitted in California without a warning label)
· a popular protein energy meal with spirulina had an extra 6.7 grams of carbohydrates (including an extra 4 grams of sugar) and an additional 25.7 calories per serving
· a protein powder -- from a “GMP certified” facility -- claiming “0” cholesterol really had 10.2 mg
· a protein supplement claiming 5 mg of cholesterol actually had 14.2 mg
The products reviewed are Atkins Day Break, Body Fortress Whey Isolate, Dymatize Nutrition Elite Casein, EAS 100% Whey Protein, Endurox R4, Genisoy Soy Protein Shake, GNC AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60, GNC Pro Performance 100% Whey Protein, GNC Total Lean - Lean Shake 25, GNC Total Lean - Lean Shake, Jay Robb Whey Protein, Marked 100% Whey Protein Complex Gourmet, Marked Mass Gainer Gourmet, Metagenics UltraMeal Rice, MET-RX Engineered Nutrition Meal Replacement, Muscletech Nitro Tech, Nature’s Bounty Optimal Solutions Complete Protein Vitamin, Nature’s Plus Spiru-Tein, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Egg, Prolab Advanced Essential Whey, Pure Protein Shake, Shakeology Greenberry, Six Star Pro Nutrition Whey Protein Plus, Slim Fast 3-2-1 Plan Shake Mix, Solgar Whey To Go, The Biggest Loser Protein Powder, and Twinlab Whey Fuel Triple Thick.