Recalls and Warnings
(Date Posted: 11/27/2018)
|More Dog Food Recalled Due to Risk of Vitamin D Toxicity
On November 27, 2018, Sunshine Mills, Inc. issued a recall of select Evolve Puppy, Sportsman's Pride Large Breed Puppy and Triumph Chicken and Rice Dog Food because they may contain elevated levels of vitamin D.
Dogs consuming elevated levels of vitamin D may have symptoms such as vomiting, loss of appetite, increased thirst, increased urination, excessive drooling, and weight loss. Very high levels of vitamin D can lead to serious health issues in dogs including renal dysfunction.
The recalled dog food has a Best Buy Date Code of November 1, 2018 through November 8, 2019. They were distributed in retail stores in the U.S. as well as by some export distributors in Japan, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Israel, Canada and South Korea, and can be identified by the following:
- Evolve Chicken & Rice Puppy Dry Dog Food (14 lb. bag), Bag-UPC: 0-73657-00862-0
- Evolve Chicken & Rice Puppy Dry Dog Food, (28 lb. bag), Bag-UPC: 0-73657-00863-7
- Sportsman's Pride Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food (40 lb. bag), Bag-UPC: 0-70155-10566-0
- Sportsman's Pride Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food, (40 lb. bag), Bag-UPC: 0-70155-10564-0
- Triumph Chicken & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food (3.5 lb. bag), Bag-UPC: 0-73657-00873-6
- Triumph Chicken & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food, (16 lb. bag), Bag-UPC: 0-73657-00874-3
- Triumph Chicken & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food, (30 lb. bag), Bag-UPC: 0-73657-00875-0
On November 28, 2018, two more brands of dog food were recalled due to the risk of vitamin D toxicity. Click on the links below for complete details:
On December 5, 2018, another brand of dog food was recalled due to the risk of vitamin D toxicity. Click on the link below for complete details:
Consumers should stop feeding the recalled products and should dispose of them or return them to the retailer for a full refund.
See ConsumerLab.com's tests of supplements for pets, including Taurine Supplements, Multivitamins, CBD Oil, Joint Supplements for Pets, Fish Oil and Omega-3 Supplements, and Probiotic Supplements.
See these related warnings:
Dog Food Recalled After Reports of Vitamin D Toxicity
To see the complete recall, use the link below.
For other Recalls and Warnings click HERE.
For information about reporting serious reactions and problems with medical products to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration through its MedWatch reporting program, please go to http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/how.htm.