- What is SAMe? SAMe is a compound which naturally occurs in the human body (see What It Is).
- Health benefits of SAMe: As a supplement, it has two major uses (see What It Does).
- It is effective as a treatment for osteoarthritis and associated joint pain, stiffness, and inflammation. It may take longer to work than leading anti-inflammatory drugs but the benefit seems to last longer with fewer side effects.
- It is an effective antidepressant in treating major depression and may be particularly useful for people who do not respond to prescription treatment.
- How to choose a SAMe product: Choose SAMe products carefully because it is an expensive ingredient (companies may put in less than listed) and is sensitive to breakdown if exposed to heat or moisture. Look for a product packaged in a blister pack (see ConsumerTips™). Generally, it should also have an enteric-coating to protect it from degradation by stomach acids which can render it ineffective. (See Quality Concerns)
- What did CL's tests of SAMe find? Among the 10 products selected by CL for testing, one contained only 76.5% of its listed SAMe and provided an unusually small dose. (See What CL Found).
- How much SAMe should I take? Daily dosage shown to be effective in clinical trials ranges from 800 mg to 1,600 mg of SAMe (See ConsumerTips™ for details).
- Best SAMe supplements: See Top Picks for products which passed testing, were enteric coated, and provided SAMe at lowest cost. All of these are packaged in blister packs for stability.
- SAMe safety and side effects: SAMe should not be used by people with bipolar disorder (See Concerns and Cautions for more information.)