Posted November 21, 2017

Bones and Packaged "Bone Treats" Dangerous for Dogs

Giving your dog real turkey or chicken bones, or packaged "bone treats" could lead to serious injury or death, the FDA recently warned pet owners. 

Real turkey and chicken bones pose a danger because they are brittle and can splinter, causing injury. However, the FDA warned that packaged "bone treats" can also be dangerous, and has received 68 reports of pet illnesses -- including 15 deaths -- associated with these treats. Bones processed and packaged for sale as dog treats may be dried by smoking or baking, and may contain other ingredients such as preservatives, seasonings, and smoke flavorings. Products associated with injury or death which were reported to the FDA include treats labeled as "Ham Bones," "Pork Femur Bones," "Rib Bones," and "Smokey Knuckle Bones." 

Injuries reported by pet owners and veterinarians from use of these treats include choking, cuts and wounds in the mouth or on the tonsils, vomiting, diarrhea and bleeding from the rectum, as well as death. There have also been reports of these packaged bone treats appearing moldy, or splintering when being chewed.

"Giving your dog a bone treat might lead to an unexpected trip to your veterinarian, a possible emergency surgery, or even death for your pet," Carmela Stamper, a veterinarian in the Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) at the FDA, stated in the FDA's warning 

The FDA advised pet owners to keep platter containing turkey and chicken bones out of reach from dogs and to be careful of placing bones in the trash, and to consult a veterinarian about which treats are safe for pets. 

See ConsumerLab.com's tests of supplements for pets in the following Reviews:    To read the FDA's warning, use the link below.