Recalls & Warnings
ConsumerLab.com is keeping you informed with current product recalls and warnings.
Posted December 20, 2021
Pantene, Herbal Essences, & Other Brands of Dry Shampoo and Conditioner Recalled Due to Benzene
On December 17, 2021, Procter & Gamble issued a recall of 26 aerosol spray dry shampoos and conditioners from six brands, including Aussie, Herbal Essences, Hair Food, Old Spice, Pantene, and Waterless Hair Care, because some of the products were found to contain benzene.
Benzene is a human carcinogen and exposure can occur by inhalation, orally, and through the skin. Exposure can be cancerous, including leukemia, and blood cancer of the bone marrow, and can also result in life-threatening blood disorders.
According to Procter & Gamble, benzene is not an ingredient in the recalled products, but came from the propellant that sprays the products out of the can.
The recalled dry shampoos and conditioners were distributed nationwide in the United States through retail outlets and online and include various lots of the following products (see the recall notice for details, including lot numbers, and product photos):
- Aussie After Hours Dry Shampoo Texture Spray
- Aussie Tousle Hustle Dry Shampoo
- Aussie Smooth Vibes Dry Conditioner
- Aussie Petal Soft Dry Conditioner
- Aussie Sleekend Warrior Dry Conditioner
- Aussie Bounce Back Dry Shampoo
- Aussie Clean Color Protect Shampoo
- Aussie Clean Texture Dry Shampoo
- Aussie Clean Volume Dry Shampoo
- Hair Food Coconut Dry Shampoo
- Herbal Essences Cucumber & Green Tea Dry Shampoo
- Herbal Essences White Strawberry & Sweet Mint Dry Shampoo
- Herbal Essences White Grapefruit & Mint Dry Shampoo
- Herbal Essences Blue Ginger Refresh Dry Shampoo
- Old Spice Fiji Dry Shampoo
- Old Spice Pure Sport Dry Shampoo
- Pantene Dry Shampoo No Water Refresh
- Pantene Dry Shampoo Sheer Volume
- Pantene Never Tell Dry Shampoo
- Pantene Gold Series Instant Nourishing Spray
- Pantene Mist Behaving Dry Conditioning Mist
- Pantene Smooth Talker Dry Conditioning Oil
- Pantene Sultry Bronde All in One Luxury Mist
- Waterless Dry Shampoo No Residue
- Waterless Dry Conditioner Instant Moisture
- Waterless Dry Conditioner Weightless Smooth
The company initiated a review of all its aerosol products following the discovery of benzene in various aerosol spray deodorants and antiperspirants in November 2021, including Procter & Gamble brands such as Old Spice and Secret, which were subsequently recalled.
Consumers who have the recalled products should stop using them and appropriately discard the affected spray products. Impacted consumers may contact respective product sites for more information on how to receive reimbursement for eligible products.
For information about the recall, use the link below:
See related recalls and warnings: