Posted April 8, 2017

Woman Dies After Receiving Turmeric Infusion

On March 16, 2017, a San Diego, California woman died days after receiving an IV infusion of turmeric.  

Jade Erick, age 30, suffered a brain injury and cardiac arrest after receiving the first 5 mL of a 250 mL infusion of turmeric in the office of a naturopathic doctor. She was admitted to the hospital but died six days later.

According to NBC News San Diego, Erick's autopsy report concluded she died of "severe anoxic brain injury secondary to cardiopulmonary arrest, most likely due to turmeric infusion."  

Erick had sought treatment from the doctor for eczema. She had taken turmeric supplements in the past, but had never before had an infusion. The medical examiner's report also noted she had multiple food allergies to soy protein, lactose and gluten as well as hypothyroidism and pre-diabetes. 

Her death has been ruled an accident.

Intravenous administration of curcumin (from turmeric) has been used in some clinical trials for gallbladder disease and breast cancer and was generally well-tolerated; there are no clinical studies on the use of intravenous curcumin for eczema (Gupta, AAPSJ 2013). [Note that turmeric/curcumin supplements may increase pain and contractions in people passing gallstones].

See the "Concerns and Cautions" section of ConsumerLab.com's Turmeric/Curcumin Supplements and Spices Review for safety, side effects and potential drug interactions when taking oral turmeric/curcumin supplements.  

To read NBC News San Diego's report, use the link below.  

See Related Warnings:

More Turmeric Spice Recalled

Ground Turmeric Spice Recalled Due to Lead Contamination

McCormick Ground Oregano Recalled Due to Salmonella Risk

Carob Powder Recalled

Turmeric Spice Powder Recalled Due To High Lead Levels

For more information about this recall, use the link below.