Recalls & Warnings
ConsumerLab.com is keeping you informed with current product recalls and warnings.
Posted December 29, 2020
FDA Warns Five Sellers of CBD for Claims of Treating Arthritis, Alzheimer's and More
On December 22, 2020, the FDA issued warning letters to five sellers of CBD following reviews of the companies' websites, which found statements made about the companies' products to be drug claims.
More information about each warning is below (use the links to read the full warning letter):
- Bee Delightful (Canna Bees Rescue Blend products) were promoted with statements such as "May reduce pain from diseases like multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis. According to some studies, CBD may help reduce chronic pain by affecting endocannabinoid receptor activity, reducing inflammation and interacting with neurotransmitters."
- G & L Wellness, LLC (C BETTER DAILY Adult Regular Formula, C BETTER DAILY Adult Maximum Formula, C BETTER DAILY Soothing Formula, and C BETTER DAILY Pet Formula) were promoted with statements such as "C Better Daily is the hemp industries first and only multi-symptom eye care solution."
- New Leaf Pharmaceuticals, LLC (RHINODOL CBD nasal spray products) were promoted with statements such as "Multiple recent studies have shown that CBD can help with PTSD symptoms, such as having nightmares and replaying negative memories."
- NextL3vel Services Group, LLC dba This Stuff Is Good For You (reLeaves 40mg CBD Pet Shampoo, reLeaves Full-Spectrum CBD Dried Dog Treat Cookies, reLeaves CBD Broad Spectrum Tincture, reLeaves CBD Full Spectrum Tincture, reLeaves Vision+ 20mg CBD Eye Drops, and more) were promoted with statements such as "EXPERTS SAY CBD FOR COVID19 TREATMENT" and "[C]BD-rich cannabis... makes this an ideal option for people seeking relief from inflammation, pain, anxiety, psychosis, seizures, spasms, and other conditions... Long story short, CBD is now available as CBD Hemp Oil, and is used as a medicine for various purposes."
- Wellness BioSciences Rx (WBRx Metered-Dose Inhaler, WBRx Balance Softgels CBD, WBRx Pure Wellness CBD (also called WBRx Combo Pack), WBRx Energy Oil Drops CBD, WBRx Relief Balm CBD, and WBRx Sleep Oil Drops CBD were promoted with statements such as "Select past research has linked the compound with improvements in psychiatric issues, such as easing PTSD, anxiety, and psychotic symptoms in sufferers. As well, there have been indications that CBD may help reduce dementia symptoms in people diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease."
See ConsumerLab's Review of CBD & Hemp Extract Supplements, Lotions, and Balms for tests of related products.
Also see ConsumerLab's answer to the question: What are natural remedies for coronavirus (COVID-19)? Do supplements like zinc, vitamin C, or herbals work?
The FDA emphasized that CBD eye drop products are "especially concerning" for human or animal use because unapproved and potentially-toxic substances entering the eye may cause irreversible damage, including vision loss.
See related warnings:
FTC Crackdown on Six Deceptive CBD Products
FDA Warns Sellers of Unapproved COVID-19 Tests, CBD Products
Seller of CBD and NAC Warned for Coronavirus Claims
51 CBD Products Recalled Due to Lead Contamination
Seller of CBD Tinctures and "Immune Boost Packs" Warned for Coronavirus Claims