Our Members Asked:
Is it true that milk thistle supplements can be contaminated with toxins that can be harmful to the liver?
Milk thistle is often taken to help protect the liver, but ironically, it can be contaminated with yeast and mold (fungi) which create toxins that are potentially harmful to the liver. These organisms are known to grow on milk thistle if not properly dried and stored after harvest. The yeast and mold, and significant levels of toxins, are most commonly found in products made of whole milk thistle seed and cut herbs, but are less likely in other types of milk thistle supplements, as explained in the "Concerns and Cautions" section of the Milk Thistle Supplements Review >>
Join today to unlock all member benefits including full access to all CL Answers and over 1,300 reviews.Join Now
Already a member? Sign In Here.
Join now at www.consumerlab.com/join/
Submit your comment
This feature is restricted to active members.
Join now to add comments and get all member benefits, including over 1,300 reviews.Join Now
Already a member? Sign in here.
Agree to Comment Terms
Please abide by the following:
For your privacy, only your first name (from your account) followed by a random number will appear with your comment. Your last name and email address will not be displayed.
Your comment has been submitted
We will review your comment before it is posted.