Recalls & Warnings
ConsumerLab.com is keeping you informed with current product recalls and warnings.
Latest Posted October 23, 2021
The four cases of melioidosis were reported in Georgia, Kansas, Texas, and Minnesota, and in two of these cases, the patients died. Although the source of the four reported infections has not been confirmed, CDC testing of a bottle of the aromatherapy spray found in the home of the patient in Georgia found it to be contaminated with Burkholderia pseudomallei, the bacteria that causes melioidosis. Symptoms of melioidosis include headache, joint pain, abdominal pain, fever, cough, difficulty breathing, and seizure.
The recalled sprays, which are made in India, were sold on Walmart's website and approximately 55 Walmart retail stores between February and October 21, 2021. Product photos are available on the U.S. Consumer Safety Commission website. The sprays are packaged in 5 oz. glass bottles with a pump spray and can be identified by the following:
- Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Lavender & Chamomile, Product number: 84140411420
- Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Lemon and Mandarin, Product number: 84140411421
- Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Lavender, Product number: 84140411422
- Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Peppermint, Product number: 84140411423
- Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Lime & Eucalyptus, Product number: 84140411424
- Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Sandalwood and Vanilla, Product number: 84140411425
For more information about this recall, use the links below.
Walmart Recalls Better Homes and Gardens Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones Due to Rare and Dangerous Bacteria; Two Deaths Investigated
CDC Identifies Rare Bacteria in Aromatherapy Product
For information about reporting serious reactions and problems with medical products to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration through its MedWatch reporting program, please visit the FDA MedWatch website.