Which are the best "greens" and "whole food" supplements? These powders, drinks, and pills are made from an array of ingredients, such as wheat grass, alfalfa, kelp, spirulina, chlorella, leafy vegetables and other chlorophyll-containing ingredients, as well as fruits. To evaluate their quality, our testing focused on how free they were from impurities -- heavy metals, microbes, and dangerous pesticides, and that gluten-free products were really gluten-free.
The good news: We did not find microbial or pesticide contamination in the products. The bad news: Four products were contaminated with toxic heavy metals — a problem we've seen before with these types of products. Lead contamination was found an issue in each of these four products, one of which was also contaminated arsenic and another with cadmium.
Across the products, the cost of a single serving ranged from just 31 cents to $4.35 -- and some of the most expensive products were those which failed testing. Products also provided a variety of vitamins and minerals, although some at levels so high that one must be careful not to exceed upper tolerable limits — especially if having more than one serving daily or giving to children.
You must be a member to get the full test results and reviews for "greens" and "whole foods" powders, pills, and drinks along with ConsumerLab.com recommendations and quality ratings. You will get results for 17 products: 13 selected by ConsumerLab.com and 4 others that passed voluntary certification testing.
In this comprehensive report, you'll discover:
- Which greens and whole food powders failed testing and which passed
- ConsumerLab.com's Top Picks — factoring in product quality, safety, and cost
- Direct comparisons of greens and whole food supplements, including vitamin and mineral assessments
- Price comparisons
- Whether herbs and other ingredients are included at doses known to be effective
- Concerns and cautions with greens and whole food products, including specific concerns with certain algae (Chlorella and Aph. flos-aquae).
If you already are a member, SIGN IN