Resveratrol supplements have been popular since 2006, when studies in animals showed "life-extending" and "endurance-enhancing" effects, among other potential benefits. Although such dramatic effects have not been demonstrated in people, other potential uses are being explored relating to age-related macular degeneration, cardiovascular health, diabetes, and memory. Tens of millions of dollars-worth of resveratrol-containing supplements are purchased in the U.S. each year, and the cost of a 100 mg serving ranges from less than 10 cents to more than $1.50.
Tell you help you understand what resveratrol can or cannot do, and which products actually do or don't contain what you'd expect from their labels, ConsumerLab.com reviewed the clinical research as well as purchased and rigorously tested popular resveratrol supplements.
From the testing, ConsumerLab.com found that most supplements do contain the amount of resveratrol listed on their labels. However, the tests revealed that one supplement contained only 11.8% of what you might expect. Just as important, it identified three supplements (CL's Top Picks) providing high-quality resveratrol for just one-tenth the cost of more expensive products.
In this report, you'll get test results and quality ratings for 20 resveratrol supplements (including eight that passed testing in our voluntary Quality Certification Program) and information about two products similar to ones which passed testing. You'll learn:
- The clinical evidence for, or against, using resveratrol for age-related macular degeneration, cardiovascular health, diabetes, memory and life extension
- Which resveratrol supplements failed testing and which passed and, which are ConsumerLab.com's Top Picks
- How the cis- and trans- forms of resveratrol differ and how much was found in supplements
- What to look for on resveratrol supplement labels
- Dosage for resveratrol, based on what clinical studies have shown
- Potential side effects and drug interactions with resveratrol
If you already are a member, SIGN IN