- What is coconut water? Coconut water is the clear to slightly cloudy liquid found in immature (green) coconuts. It is rich in potassium, contains a moderate amount of sugar, and modest amounts of sodium, magnesium, calcium, vitamin C, and phosphorus. Unlike coconut milk and coconut oil, it contains very little fat — less than 1 gram per cup. See What It Is.
- How is coconut water used? Drinking coconut water is a pleasant way to hydrate and re-hydrate but has generally not been shown to be better than water in this regard. Although preliminary research suggested a possible role for coconut water in preventing kidney stone formation, this has not been proven in people. See How It's Used.
- What did CL's tests of coconut water find? Among six popular coconut water products tested by ConsumerLab, five were found to contain what they claimed with regard to sugar and key minerals and none was contaminated with arsenic, cadmium, or lead. One product was found to contain significantly less sugar than claimed. Based on a one cup serving, the products contained 6.7 to 11 grams of sugar, 284.7 to 490 mg of potassium, 20 to 112 mg of sodium, and 6.9 to 66.7 mg of magnesium -- although the higher amounts of sodium and magnesium were in a product in which these were added ingredients. The cost per cup ranged from 72 cents to $1.98. See What CL Found.
- Top Pick of coconut water — ConsumerLab selected a Top Pick among coconut waters based on quality, nutrient levels, taste, and cost.
- How to store coconut water? Coconut water does not have to be refrigerated until the container is opened. See ConsumerTips.
- Safety and side effects of coconut water: Due to the large amount of potassium in coconut water, intake should be limited among people with severe kidney disease or on medications that affect potassium levels. Even healthy people should consume coconut water in moderation and be aware that it will not adequately replace sodium after long, strenuous exercise and can have a laxative effect. For details, see Concerns and Cautions.
Coconut Waters Review
Best Coconut Water?. See Our Tests and Comparisons of Popular Brands Looking at Sugar, Electrolytes, Taste and Price
Coconut waters compared in this review:
Big Tree Farms Coco Hydro Instant Coconut Water
Naked Pure Coconut Water
Taste Nirvana Premium Coconut Water
Trader Joe's Coconut Water
Vita Coco Coconut Water - Organic
Zico Natural Pure Premium Coconut Water
- Which coconut waters passed or failed our tests
- ConsumerLab's Top Pick for the best coconut water
- The evidence for or against coconut water for rehydration, muscle cramps and restless legs syndrome, and kidney stones
- How coconut waters, including those in powder form, compare in nutrients, added ingredients, and taste
- Cautions, potential side effects, and drug interactions with coconut water
As a ConsumerLab.com member, you may print a copy of this report for your personal use.
You can access a special print version by clicking the "Print" icon in the upper right corner of this report. You can then use your web browser's print functions to print the whole report or just selected pages.
You may also email or post a link to this report using the web address above. Non-members using the link will see a free summary and can join to view the full report. Other means of copying or distributing this report, in part or full, are not permitted.