Garlic Supplements Review
HOW PRODUCTS WERE EVALUATED:
How Products were Selected:
Products were selected to represent those commonly available in the U.S. and Canada. ConsumerLab.com purchased products on the open market through retail stores, on-line retailers, and direct sales or multi-level marketing companies. Products were not accepted directly from manufacturers.
Products containing garlic were tested in one or more independent laboratories for the following:
- The identity and quantity of alliin, allicin, allicin potential and γ-Glutamyl-(S)-allyl-L-cysteine (SAC) by High Performance liquid Chromatography (HPLC) following USP 36 or other appropriate methods as determined by CL.
- Lead, cadmium, total and inorganic arsenic by inductively coupled plasma — mass spectroscopy (ICP-MS) or other appropriate methods determined by CL.
- Non-chewable, non-capsule, non-enteric coated and non-time-release formulations were analyzed for disintegration utilizing United States Pharmacopeia (USP) <2040> recommendations entitled "Disintegration and Dissolution of Nutritional Supplements."
Any product not passing initial testing criteria was sent to a second independent laboratory for repeat analysis using similar methodologies.
The identities of the products were not disclosed to the laboratories performing the testing.
To achieve a "Pass" in the testing, a product had to:
Passing scores allow for specific margins of technical error associated with each analysis. ConsumerLab.com reserves the right to disqualify a product at any time from passing its testing if it considers such product to present a safety risk or to provide misleading or inaccurate information in its labeling.
- Meet 100% of label claim for alliin content, allicin content, allicin potential (calculated as 45% of alliin content) and γ-glutamyl-(S)-allyl-L-cysteine (SAC) content.
- Products must contain the following minimum marker levels for the specific garlic type in the product:
- Powdered garlic dried or freeze-dried; minimum 0.3% alliin and not less than 0.1% γ-glutamyl-(S)-allyl-L-cysteine (SAC) calculated on a dry weight basis. (USP 36 Official Monograph)
- Fresh or dried garlic bulb; minimum 0.5% alliin and minimum 0.2% γ-glutamyl-(S)-allyl-L-cysteine (SAC) calculated on a dry weight basis (USP 36 Official Monograph).
- Aged garlic, prepared from the fresh or dried bulbs; minimum 0.05% (S)-allyl-L-cysteine (SAC) calculated on a dry weight basis.
- Powdered garlic extract, from the fresh bulbs; minimum 4.0% alliin. (USP 36 Official Monograph)
- Suggested daily dose of fresh, dried, powdered or powdered extract products must contain not less than 2,400 mcg allicin (two-thirds of the minimum expected allicin yield of a clove of fresh garlic.
- Heavy Metals:
Lead**: Not exceed the following limits for elemental lead:
Cadmium: Contain less than 0.3 micrograms of cadmium per gram (World Health Organization/ADI proposed in dried plant materials).
- Products marketed for use by children may not exceed the State of California's Prop 65 limits for lead in dietary supplements of 0.5 mcg per recommended daily serving with an additional allowance of 0.8 mcg if the product contains more than 1,000 mg/day of calcium.
- Products with a single serving weights of less than 5 grams which are not marketed for use by children, may not exceed the State of California's Prop 65 limits for lead in dietary supplements of 0.5 mcg per recommended daily serving with an additional allowance of 0.4 mcg if containing 250-999 mg/day of any combination of elemental calcium, magnesium and potassium or 0.8 mcg if containing more than 1,000 mg/day of any combination of these minerals. An additional allowance of 0.5 mcg is provided if containing 250-999 mg/day of whole herb (not extract) or 1.0 mcg if containing 1000 mg/day or more of whole herb (not extract). However, total lead allowance will not exceed 2 mcg.
- Products with single serving weights of 5 grams or more which are not marketed for children may not exceed 2.5 mcg per serving or 4.0 mcg per daily serving.
Arsenic: Contain less than 10 micrograms of total arsenic and no more than 5 micrograms of inorganic arsenic per daily serving (EPA limit - based on 1 liter of water).
- If applicable to the product, it must meet recommended USP <2040> parameters of disintegration for dietary supplements (excluding capsule, enteric coated, chewable and time-release products).
- Be in compliance with FDA labeling requirements.
** If available for sale in California, a product that exceeds the State of California's Prop 65 lead limit requires a warning label. However, with or without this warning label, a product cannot pass ConsumerLab.com testing if it exceeds the levels described in this paragraph.
ConsumerLab.com reserves the right to disqualify a product at any time from passing its testing if it considers such product to present a safety risk or to provide misleading or inaccurate information in its labeling.
Back to review