Astaxanthin supplements are promoted as increasing physical endurance, reducing inflammation, and lowering triglyceride levels. But can they really do this? Also, astaxanthin supplements are relatively expensive, with some costing more than $1 per day. Which supplements have what they claim and are the best value?
To answer these questions, ConsumerLab.com recently reviewed the scientific evidence for astaxanthin and selected and rigorously tested popular astaxanthin supplements. Testing determined the amount and form (natural or synthetic) of astaxanthin. ConsumerLab.com also checked levels of lead, cadmium, arsenic and mercury in each supplement to determine if any were contaminated with heavy metals — a potential concern because astaxanthin is typically produced from algae.
Our tests identified many high quality products which contained what they claimed and were not contaminated with heavy metals. However, we found that among these, cost varied widely: Some quality products were 3 times more expensive than others for the same amount of high-quality astaxanthin.
In this comprehensive report about astaxanthin supplements, you'll get test results and quality ratings for 12 astaxanthin products (including three which passed testing in our voluntary Quality Certification Program) and information about a product which is similar to one which passed testing. You'll learn:
- The clinical evidence for, or against, using astaxanthin for physical endurance, inflammatory conditions such rheumatoid arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome, lowering triglycerides, and skin improvement
- Which astaxanthin supplements failed testing, which passed, and which are ConsumerLab.com's Top Picks
- The amount and form of astaxanthin in each supplement and how these compare amounts used in clinical studies
- Differences between the natural and synthetic forms of astaxanthin
- What to look for on astaxanthin supplement labels
- Astaxanthin dosage for specific uses
- Potential side effects and drug interactions with astaxanthin
If you already are a member, SIGN IN