- What do L-tryptophan and 5-HTP do? L-tryptophan is an essential amino acid naturally found in meats and other foods. It is converted in the body to 5-HTP (which is not found in foods), which is then converted to serotonin and melatonin (see What It Is). L-tryptophan can promote sleep, while 5-HTP has been used as an antidepressant, although this effect has not been well-established. Both have been proposed for other uses based on preliminary evidence (see What It Does).
- Are L-tryptophan and 5-HTP safe? L-tryptophan from a specific manufacturer caused hundreds of cases of a serious immune disorder, eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS), in the late 1980s. A more pure form is now sold that seems to be much safer. However, there is still some risk with even pure L-tryptophan, particularly at high doses. 5-HTP in supplements is generally safe, but rare cases of EMS have also been reported. (See Concerns and Cautions).
- Best choice for tryptophan supplements? CL tested all supplements for a range of impurities. Among those that passed testing and provided the best value, CL selected a Top Pick for L-Tryptophan and a Top Pick for 5-HTP.
- How to take tryptophan? L-tryptophan is taken for sleep at a dose of about 1 gram (1,000 mg) shortly before bedtime, while other uses have involved higher doses. 5-HTP is taken at a daily dose of about 300 mg to 900 mg depending on the use, and divided during the day. (See What to Consider When Using).
- Safety and side effects of tryptophan: In addition to the potential risk of EMS and some mild side effects, these supplements should be used with caution in people taking medications that affect serotonin, such as some antidepressants and migraine medications (see Concerns and Cautions).
L-Tryptophan and 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) Supplements Review
Choose the Best L-Tryptophan and 5-HTP Supplements. CL Tests Identify High Quality L-Tryptophan and 5-HTP (5-Hydroxy-L-Tryptophan) at the Best Value.
Alphabetical list of 5-hydroxy-L-tryptophan (5-HTP) and L-tryptophan supplement brands compared in this review
BioScience Nutrition 5-HTP
Doctor's Best Best L-Tryptophan With TryptoPure
Finest Nutrition [Walgreens] 5-HTP
Natural Factors 5-HTP
Swanson Ultra L-Tryptophan TryptoPure
- ConsumerLab's Top Picks for L-tryptophan and 5-Hydroxy-L-tryptophan (5-HTP) supplements based on quality, dose and value
- Which products passed or failed our tests and why
- How L-tryptophan and 5-HTP supplements compare on ingredients, dosage, and cost
- Information about branded L-tryptophan ingredients (such as TryptoPure) and what to look for on the label when choosing an L-tryptophan or 5-HTP supplement
- Dosage of L-tryptophan and 5-HTP for specific uses and the evidence for or against those uses (including sleep, depression, migraine, weight loss, and fibromyalgia)
- Safety concerns, including information about eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS) associated with use of L-tryptophan and 5-HTP supplements, as well as potential side effects and drug interactions
As a ConsumerLab.com member, you may print a copy of this report for your personal use.
You can access a special print version by clicking the "Print" icon in the upper right corner of this report. You can then use your web browser's print functions to print the whole report or just selected pages.
You may also email or post a link to this report using the web address above. Non-members using the link will see a free summary and can join to view the full report. Other means of copying or distributing this report, in part or full, are not permitted.