How Products were Selected:
Products tested represent those commonly sold and/or available nationally in the U.S. and Canada. ConsumerLab.com purchased products on the open market through retail stores, on-line retailers, and direct sales or multi-level marketing companies. Products were not accepted directly from manufacturers.
SAMe products were tested in one or more independent laboratories for the following:
- Levels of the S-adenosyl-methionine (SAMe) and SAMe breakdown products (adenine, s-adenosyl-L-homocysteine (SAH), and methylthioadenosine (MTA)) utilizing capillary electrophoresis (CE) or high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC).
- Disintegration of non-chewable, non-capsule and non-time-release formulations utilizing USP (United States Pharmacopeia) <2040> recommendations entitled "Disintegration and Dissolution of Nutritional Supplements."
Any product not passing any initial testing criterion was sent to a second independent laboratory for repeat analysis using a similar methodology. Identities of products were not disclosed to laboratories performing the tests.
To achieve a "Pass" in the testing, a product had to:
- Contain its claimed amount of SAMe and no more than 125% of that amount.
- Clearly and accurately state the amount of "free" SAMe (i.e., not including stabilizing compounds) on the label.
- Degradation products adenine, S-adenosyl-L-homocysteine (SAH) and methylthioadenosine (MTA) not to exceed 10% of the found amount of "free" SAMe.
- Meet recommended USP <2040> parameters for disintegration for dietary supplements (excluding capsule, chewable and timed-release products).
- Be in compliance with FDA labeling requirements.
* Passing scores allow for specific margins of technical error associated with each analysis. ConsumerLab.com reserves the right to disqualify a product at any time from passing its testing if it considers such product to present a safety risk or to provide misleading or inaccurate information in its labeling.