- What is SAMe? SAMe is a compound which naturally occurs in the human body (see What It Is).
- Health benefits of SAMe: As a supplement, it has two major uses (see What It Does).
- It is effective as a treatment for osteoarthritis and associated joint pain, stiffness, and inflammation. It may take longer to work than leading anti-inflammatory drugs but the benefit seems to last longer with fewer side effects.
- It is an effective antidepressant in treating major depression and may be particularly useful for people who do not respond to prescription treatment.
- How to choose a SAMe product: Choose SAMe products carefully because it is an expensive ingredient (companies may put in less than listed) and is sensitive to breakdown if exposed to heat or moisture. Look for a product packaged in a blister pack (see ConsumerTips™). Generally, it should also have an enteric-coating to protect it from degradation by stomach acids which can render it ineffective. (See Quality Concerns)
- What did CL's tests of SAMe find? Among the 10 products selected by CL for testing, one contained only 76.5% of its listed SAMe and provided an unusually small dose. (See What CL Found).
- How much SAMe should I take? Daily dosage shown to be effective in clinical trials ranges from 800 mg to 1,600 mg of SAMe (See ConsumerTips™ for details).
- Best SAMe supplements: See Top Picks for products which passed testing, were enteric coated, and provided SAMe at lowest cost. All of these are packaged in blister packs for stability.
- SAMe safety and side effects: SAMe should not be used by people with bipolar disorder (See Concerns and Cautions for more information.)
SAMe (S-adenosyl-methionine) Supplements Review
Choose the Best SAMe Supplement. CL Tests Reveal Big Differences in Quality and Cost
SAM-e supplement brands compared in this review
Cellfood SAM-e Liquid Formula
CVSｮ pharmacy SAM-e
Designs For Health SAMe
Doctor’s Best Double-Strength SAMe
GNC SAM=e 400
Nature Made SAM-e Complete
Nature's Sunshine SAM-e
Nature's Trove SAMe 400 mg
RiteAid Pharmacy SAM-e 200 mg
Spring Valley [Walmart] SAMe
Swanson Ultra High-Potency SAMe
The Vitamin Depot Double Strength SAM-e
- Which SAM-e supplements passed or failed testing
- Direct comparisons and quality ratings of SAM-e supplements, including cost comparisons showing you can pay anywhere from 51 cents to over $3 for the same amount of SAM-e -- it pays to compare prices
- What SAM-e can and cannot do for your health
- Tips on buying SAM-e and how to properly store it
- SAM-e dosage for different conditions
- Concerns, drug interactions, and potential side-effects of SAM-e
As a ConsumerLab.com member, you may print a copy of this report for your personal use.
You can access a special print version by clicking the "Print" icon in the upper right corner of this report. You can then use your web browser's print functions to print the whole report or just selected pages.
You may also email or post a link to this report using the web address above. Non-members using the link will see a free summary and can join to view the full report. Other means of copying or distributing this report, in part or full, are not permitted.