- What do DHEA supplements do? There is weak evidence that taking DHEA (a hormone the body uses to create other hormones, including estrogen and testosterone) may help improve mood, and in older men and women, sexual function and the appearance of the skin. (See What It Does)
- What did CL's tests of DHEA find? Products reviewed by ConsumerLab.com were found to contain what they claimed and did not exceed contamination limits for heavy metals. However, labeled amounts of DHEA in products tested varied considerably, from 10 mg to 100 mg per pill — so it's important to choose one that provides the right dose for the intended use, at the best price. See the top choices of products "Approved" by ConsumerLab.com.
- How much DHEA should I take? A typical dose is about 50 mg of DHEA per day, although for some uses, such as depression, the dose may be higher. (See ConsumerTips™)
- DHEA safety and side effects: DHEA may increase testosterone levels in women, and should not be taken by women with hormone-sensitive diseases, such as breast cancer. It may also decrease levels of HDL ("good cholesterol") and increase insulin resistance. See Concerns and Cautions for other potential side effects and drug interactions.
DHEA Supplements Review
Choose the Best DHEA Supplement. Beware of Big Differences in Dose and Price
DHEA supplement brands compared in this review
AST Sports Science DHEA 100
Country Life DHEA
Douglas Laboratories DHEA
Finest Nutrition [Walgreen] DHEA
Life Extension DHEA
Nature's Bounty DHEA 25 mg
NutriCology DHEA 25
Puritan's Pride DHEA 25 mg Dehydroepiandrosterone
Spring Valley (WalMart) DHEA
Vitamin World DHEA
- Which DHEA supplements failed testing and which passed
- Which DHEA supplements we rated were most economical and which were most expensive
- The evidence for or against DHEA to improve aging skin, sexual function, athletic performance, osteoporosis, lupus, and other conditions
- DHEA dosage for specific uses
- Side effects, cautions, and potential drug interactions with DHEA
As a ConsumerLab.com member, you may print a copy of this report for your personal use.
You can access a special print version by clicking the "Print" icon in the upper right corner of this report. You can then use your web browser's print functions to print the whole report or just selected pages.
You may also email or post a link to this report using the web address above. Non-members using the link will see a free summary and can join to view the full report. Other means of copying or distributing this report, in part or full, are not permitted.