- Does it work? Preliminary studies suggest that ashwagandha may help reduce anxiety, improve physical and cognitive performance, and have other benefits. However, larger studies are needed for confirmation.
- How to choose? When choosing an ashwagandha product, look for a root powder or a root extract containing, respectively, at least 0.3% and 1.5% of withanolides — key marker compounds which may also play a role in the herb's activity.
- How much to take? Daily dosage for a root powder is typically 1 to 6 grams (1,000 mg to 6,000 mg). For extracts it is 500 mg to 1,500 mg. A daily dose should provide at least 6 mg of withanolides — typically between 10 mg and 30 mg has been used in most studies.
- What did testing find? Many products contained lower amounts of withanolides than expected and only 56% of the products selected for testing were Approved. The amount of withanolides in a suggested daily serving ranged from just 0.57 mg to as much as 95.3 mg. The cost to obtain 6 mg of withanolides ranged from just 7 cents to $1.24. Price was not an indicator of quality. (See What CL Found).
- Best Products? Several products were Approved for Quality and provide doses of withanolides consistent with efficacy in clinical studies. Among these, one product was selected as a Top Pick, offering superior strength and at low cost for withanolides. Several additional products represent good, well-priced alternatives.
- Safety and Side Effects: Ashwagandha is generally well tolerated but headache and gastrointestinal or allergic reactions can occur. Although rare, liver injury can occur. Ashwagandha may potentially lower blood pressure and blood sugar levels, and affect thyroid hormone levels. It should not be used by women or who are pregnant or nursing. For more details, see Concerns and Cautions.
Ashwagandha Supplements Review
Find the Best Ashwagandha Supplement. Only 56% of Ashwagandha Products Pass Tests
Alphabetical list of ashwagandha supplement brands compared in this review
GNC Herbal Plus Ashwagandha
Jarrow Formulas Ashwagandha
Life Extension Optimized Ashwagandha Extract
Nature's Answer Ashwagandha
Nature's Way Standardized Ashwagandha 4% Withanolides
Organic India Ashwagandha
plnt by V [Vitamin Shoppe] Ashwagandha
ProHealth Optimized Ashwagandha
Pure Encapsulations Daily Stress Formula
Puritan's Pride Ashwagandha
Solgar Ashwagandha Root Extract
Sundown Naturals Stress Support
Vitacost Ashwagandha Complex
Vitamin World Ashwagandha Extract
- ConsumerLab's Top Pick for ashwagandha based on quality, purity, dose, and value
- Which products passed or failed our tests and why
- How ashwagandha supplements compare on ingredients, dosage, amounts of withanolides, and cost
- Ashwagandha dosage for specific uses, such as reducing anxiety and improving memory
- The amount of withanolides in each ashwagandha supplement and dosage to look for
- How ashwagandha root powders and root extracts differ, and what they have been shown to do
- Clinical information about whether ashwagandha works for anxiety and improving memory
- Price comparisons showing how to get the best ashwagandha at lowest cost
- Safety, side effects, and potential drug interactions with ashwagandha
As a ConsumerLab.com member, you may print a copy of this report for your personal use.
You can access a special print version by clicking the "Print" icon in the upper right corner of this report. You can then use your web browser's print functions to print the whole report or just selected pages.
You may also email or post a link to this report using the web address above. Non-members using the link will see a free summary and can join to view the full report. Other means of copying or distributing this report, in part or full, are not permitted.