Choline is an unusual essential nutrient. You can get it from foods but you can also make it in your body. However, many people are not able to produce enough choline (such as postmenopausal women and people with certain genetics). Getting adequate choline from the diet helps prevent fatty liver and muscle damage which can occur with choline deficiency and, during pregnancy, may reduce the risk of birth defects. Supplemental choline has shown potential benefit with respect to stroke recovery, cognition, Alzheimer's disease, asthma, and ulcerative colitis.
A problem with choline supplements, however, is that they rarely list the amount of choline they contain. If you simply purchase a choline supplement and follow the instructions on its label, you could end up with a daily serving of choline ranging from as little as 50 mg to as much as 1,500 mg!
To help, ConsumerLab.com selected and purchased ten popular choline supplements and tested their amounts of choline. We also compared them on price — finding that you could be paying almost 10 times as much as you need to
depending on the brand you choose.
Finally, ConsumerLab.com identified several products which offer exceptional quality and value — making them CL's Top Picks
You must be a member
to get the full test results along with ConsumerLab.com recommendations and quality ratings. You will get results for 10 choline-containing supplements selected by ConsumerLab.com and for a product which passed testing in our voluntary Quality Certification Program. In this comprehensive review, you'll discover:
- Which choline supplements passed our tests and which did not
- ConsumerLab.com's Top Picks, representing the best quality choline supplements at the best price
- Differences among forms of choline, including phosphatidylcholine (from lecithin), CDP-choline, citicoline, Cognizin, choline citrate, Alpha-GPC, choline alfoscerate and choline bitartrate
- The evidence behind the health benefits of choline
- How to buy and use choline supplements
- How to get choline from foods
- Choline's side effects and cautions when using choline