Glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and Boswellia may help relieve the pain of arthritis caused by worn cartilage in joints -- a condition known as osteoarthritis. How can you select the best joint health supplement? You need to take a dose that's been shown to work and use a product shown by independent tests to contain what it claims. While you're at it, save some money by comparing prices to get the best ingredients at the lowest cost. That's what ConsumerLab.com has done for you in this report.
Among the thirteen supplements ConsumerLab.com selected and tested, many contained what they claimed but two products were discovered to contain significantly lower amounts than listed of a key joint health ingredient; another listed a dose far smaller than what has been shown to work, and two products hid the amounts of important ingredients by including them in a "proprietary blend." Among the products top-rated for quality, those sold at the best price were identified as "Top Picks."
In this comprehensive report about glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and Boswellia supplements for arthritis and joint health, you'll get test results and quality ratings for 23 supplements, including 10 products tested through CL's voluntary Quality Certification Program. You'll learn:
- Which glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and Boswellia supplements passed or failed ConsumerLab.com's testing and review, and which among them are its Top Picks
- What glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and Boswellia are and what they can and cannot do for arthritis
- How much AKBA (a key compound) is actually in Boswellia resins and extracts, since labels usually don't say -- and why it is important to know
- How various forms of these ingredients differ, such as the HCl, sulfate, and NAG forms of glucosamine, and the 5-Loxin, AprèsFlex, and Aflapin forms of Boswellia extract
- Which CL Approved products are lowest in cost and the best value
- Which products are suitable for vegans and vegetarians and free of shellfish (e.g., made with glucosamine from corn, not shellfish)
- Which other ingredients in joint health formulas (such as turmeric, ginger, UC-II or manganese) may or may not be helpful
- What is the proper dose of glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and Boswellia to treat osteoarthritis
- Potential side-effects of glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and Boswellia
Also see our separate report
on these types of supplements for dogs, cats, and horses.