- What are prostate supplements? Two popular supplements for treating the symptoms of benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH) are saw palmetto and beta-sitosterol -- a compound derived from saw palmetto as well as other plants (see What It Is).
- Health benefits of beta-sitosterol: Beta-sitosterol has been found in most, but not all studies, to significantly improve perceived symptoms of BPH and urine rate flow (see Beta-Sitosterol — What It Does). Doses used in clinical studies range from 30 mg to 91 mg daily (see Beta-Sitosterol — What to Consider When Buying).
- Health benefits of saw palmetto: The evidence for saw palmetto is less impressive. It may, at best, modestly improve certain urinary symptoms and help to shrink the inner lining of the prostate, but it does not decrease its overall size. A typical dose is 320 mg per day of extract standardized to 85% to 95% fatty acids (see Saw Palmetto -- What to Consider When Buying).
- What did CL's tests of prostate supplements find? ConsumerLab.com's tests identified a number of saw palmetto and beta-sitosterol supplements that contained the generally recommended amounts of these ingredients. However, one saw palmetto product was found to contain fewer fatty acids than expected, and two saw palmetto/beta-sitosterol combination products were found to be improperly labeled (see What CL Found).
- Best prostate supplements? Among all of the prostate supplements approved for their quality in this Review, ConsumerLab selected a Top Pick that also provided a correct dose and formula for treating symptoms of BPH.
- Prostate supplements safety and side effects: Beta-sitosterol and saw palmetto are generally well tolerated, although some individuals experience nausea or other gastrointestinal symptoms. Be sure to check with a healthcare professional for a proper diagnosis before using, since symptoms of enlarged prostate may signal more serious conditions that require prompt medical treatment (see Concerns and Cautions).
Prostate Supplements Review (Saw Palmetto and Beta-Sitosterol)
Find the Best Prostate Supplement. See Which Prostate Supplements Passed CL's Tests of Quality
Saw palmetto and beta-sitosterol supplements compared in this review
Botanic Choice Beta Sitosterol Plus
Dr. David Williams Healthy Prostate
Gaia Herbs Saw Palmetto Berry
GNC Herbal Plus Saw Palmetto Extract
GNC Men's Prostate Formula
Life Extension Ultra Natural Prostrate
Nature's Bounty Saw Palmetto Complex
New Chapter Prostate 5 LX
NOW Prostate Health
Pure Encapsulations Beta-sitosterol
Puritan's Pride Prosta-Metto
Rexall Saw Palmetto
Source Naturals Mega Strength Beta Sitosterol
Spring Valley [Walmart] Saw Palmetto
Vitacost Saw Palmetto
Vitamin World Prosta-Metto
- Which saw palmetto and beta-sitosterol supplements passed or failed ConsumerLab.com's testing and review
- What saw palmetto and beta-sitosterol can and cannot do for your health
- Which other ingredients in prostate formulas (such as Pygeum, pumpkin seed, nettle, selenium, and zinc) may or may not be helpful
- The dosages of saw palmetto and beta-sitosterol used in treating prostate enlargement
- Potential side-effects of saw palmetto and beta-sitosterol
As a ConsumerLab.com member, you may print a copy of this report for your personal use.
You can access a special print version by clicking the "Print" icon in the upper right corner of this report. You can then use your web browser's print functions to print the whole report or just selected pages.
You may also email or post a link to this report using the web address above. Non-members using the link will see a free summary and can join to view the full report. Other means of copying or distributing this report, in part or full, are not permitted.