Do weight loss pills work? There isn't overwhelming evidence that any dietary supplement enables significant, long-term weight loss. However, many small studies — typically funded by supplement companies -- suggest short-term weight loss, slimming (reducing fat but not overall weight), and/or appetite reduction (see What It Does for a summary of the evidence).
In this Review, CL focused on stimulant blends (which are some of the most popular weight loss supplements and contain caffeine and/or synephrine), as well as supplements with 7-keto DHEA or forskolin (from Coleus forskohlii). CL has separately reviewed many other types of supplements used for weight loss — see the list in What It Is.
What did CL's tests of weight loss supplements find? Laboratory tests and analyses by ConsumerLab revealed potentially dangerous amounts of caffeine in three products and a potentially dangerous amount of synephrine in another — twice the amount expected from its label. In addition, one Forskohlii supplement contained less than 5% of its expected forskolin. All of the 7-keto DHEA supplements contained their claimed amounts.
Across products, the dose of caffeine ranged from 51.6 mg to 270 mg per serving in stimulant blends, 7-keto DHEA ranged from 25 mg to 100 mg, and forskolin ranged from just 1.9 mg to 50 mg. The cost to obtain 100 mg of 7-keto DHEA ranged from 15 cents to $3.00 and the cost for 25 mg of forskolin ranged from 33 cents to $1.40 -- showing huge opportunity for savings when buying these products. For details, see What CL Found.
- Top Picks for 7-Keto DHEA, forskolin, and stimulant blends — Among products Approved in testing, ConsumerLab selected a Top Pick for 7-Keto DHEA and a Top Pick for Forskolin, with each providing the clinically tested dosage at relatively low cost. A Top Pick Stimulant Blend was also chosen that provided a safe level of caffeine.
- How much should I take and when? Dosage for 7-Keto DHEA is typically 100 mg twice daily and for Forskohlii it is 25 mg of forskolin (from 250 mg of extract standardized to 10% forskolin) twice daily. For caffeine, there isn't sufficient research to suggest a dose effective for weight loss. See the ConsumerTips™ section for more about dosage and forms.
- Safety and side effects of weight loss supplements: Stimulants and forskolin may affect blood pressure and heart rate and interact with medications. 7-keto DHEA may affect thyroid levels. (For details, see Concerns and Cautions.)
Weight Loss Supplements Review (7-Keto DHEA, Forskolin and Stimulant Blend Supplements)
Choose the Best Weight Loss Supplement. Be Careful With Weight Loss Supplements — Few Pass Quality Testing and Safety Review.
Alphabetical list of 7-keto DHEA, forskolin, and herbal stimulant weight loss supplement brands compared in this review
BioGanix Pure Forskolin Extract
Douglas Laboratories 7-Keto
Herbalife Total Control
Life Extension 7-Keto DHEA Metabolite 100 mg
Muscletech Hydroxycut Hardcore Elite
Nature's Answer Forskohlii Weight Control
Natures Plus Herbal Actives Coleus Forskohlii
Paradise Coleus Forskolii
Premier Research Labs Lean Advantage
Puritan's Pride 7-Keto DHEA 25 mg
Rock Star Skinny Gal Thermogenic
Source Naturals 7-Keto
Xenadrine Ultimate Weight Loss
In this comprehensive review, you'll discover:
- Which weight loss supplements failed testing and which passed
- ConsumerLab's Top Picks among products
- Direct comparisons, reviews, and quality ratings of weight loss supplements
- The pros, cons, and weight loss evidence for bitter orange, calcium, caffeine, Garcinia cambogia, stimulant herbs, chitosan, chromium, diuretics, ephedra, forskolin, green tea, hoodia, L-carnitine, pyruvate, raspberry ketone, 7-keto DHEA, stimulant laxatives like senna, and vitamin C
- Dosage for 7-keto DHEA and forskolin
- Concerns, cautions, and drug interactions for caffeine and many ingredients common in weight loss supplements
As a ConsumerLab.com member, you may print a copy of this report for your personal use.
You can access a special print version by clicking the "Print" icon in the upper right corner of this report. You can then use your web browser's print functions to print the whole report or just selected pages.
You may also email or post a link to this report using the web address above. Non-members using the link will see a free summary and can join to view the full report. Other means of copying or distributing this report, in part or full, are not permitted.