Glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and Boswellia may help treat or relieve pain of arthritis caused by worn cartilage in joints -- a condition known as osteoarthritis. However, the quality of supplements for joint health varies, as do the ingredients, dose, and price. How can you select the best joint health supplement? ConsumerLab.com tells you how in this new report.
Among the 18 supplements ConsumerLab.com selected and tested, only 15 met quality standards and labeling requirements. One product contained only 84.6% of its listed chondroitin sulfate and exceeded limits for lead in a daily serving. Another product contained just 51.6% of the Boswellia promised on the label, based on its content of boswellic acids. And the tablets of a third product would not properly break apart to fully release its ingredients. Interestingly, two of the products which failed testing were also the most expensive products reviewed.
Fortunately, we also identified many supplements containing all of the listed glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and/or Boswellia, as well as being below CL's limit for lead contamination, able to break apart properly, and properly labeled. Among these products top-rated for quality, we determined those available at the lowest cost, so you can find a quality joint health supplement at the best price.
In this comprehensive report about glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and Boswellia supplements for arthritis and joint health, you'll get test results and quality ratings for 32 supplements (including 14 that passed our Quality Certification Program) and one product similar to another that passed testing. You'll learn:
- Which glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and Boswellia supplements passed or failed ConsumerLab.com's testing and review
- What glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and Boswellia are and what they can and cannot do for arthritis
- How various forms of these ingredients differ, such as the HCl and sulfate forms of glucosamine, and the 5-Loxin, AprèsFlex, and Aflapin forms of Boswellia extract
- Which CL Approved products are lowest cost
- Which other ingredients in joint health formulas (such as turmeric, ginger or manganese) may or may not be helpful
- What is the proper dose of glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and Boswellia to treat osteoarthritis
- Potential side-effects of glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and Boswellia
If you already are a member, SIGN-IN
Also see our separate report
on these types of supplements for dogs, cats, and horses.