- Do St. John's wort supplements help? Taking a supplement with the right type and amount of St. John's wort extract appears to be as effective in treating major depression of mild to moderate severity as standard antidepressant drugs, but with fewer side effects. St. John's wort is unlikely to help people who aren't truly depressed (See What It Does).
- How much St. John's wort should I take? Clinical trials suggest that an effective dose is 900 mg per day of a concentrated extract standardized to at least 0.3% hypericin and/or 1% to 3% hyperforin (see ConsumerTips™).
- Which St. John's wort product is best? Choose carefully, because 60% of the St. John's wort supplements selected for testing by ConsumerLab.com did not contain expected amounts of one or more key plant chemicals. There was enormous range in these amounts, indicating that you could get, for example, as much as 280 times more hyperforin from one product than from another. Four products were Approved by ConsumerLab.com, three of which are good choices and one of which was CL's Top Pick. Use our Results Table to see which products were, or were not, Approved, and to compare ingredients, test results, and prices.
- Don't get hurt! Safety and side effects of St. John's wort: Although generally safe, St. John's wort can cause a range of side effects. It may cause mania in people with bipolar disorder and it may increase sensitivity to ultraviolet light, causing unexpected sunburn. Most importantly, St. John's wort can interact with a wide range of medications. See Concerns and Cautions for more information.
St. John's Wort Supplements Review
Find the Best St. John's Wort Supplement. Only 40% of St. John's Wort Supplements Pass Tests & Strength Varies Widely.
Alphabetical list of St. John's wort supplement brands compared in this review
Gaia Herbs St. John’s Wort Flower Buds & Tops
Nature's Way Perika St. John's Wort
NOW St. John's Wort
Planetary Herbals Full Spectrum St. John’s Wort
Shaklee MoodLift Complex
Standard Process MediHerb St. John's Wort
Swanson St. John's Wort
Vitacost St. John's Wort Extract
Vitamin Shoppe St. John's Wort Extract
Whole Foods St. John's Wort
- Which St. John's wort supplements failed testing, which passed, and which one is ConsumerLab.com's Top Pick
- Key differences in quality and ingredients among St. John's wort supplements
- Which supplements are most like clinically-tested St. John's wort extract
- Price comparisons of St. John's wort supplements to help you find the best quality St. John's wort at lowest cost
- Dosage recommendations for the antidepressant use of St. John's wort extracts and other herbal preparations
- Concerns, cautions, side-effects and many drug interactions to avoid with St. John's wort
As a ConsumerLab.com member, you may print a copy of this report for your personal use.
You can access a special print version by clicking the "Print" icon in the upper right corner of this report. You can then use your web browser's print functions to print the whole report or just selected pages.
You may also email or post a link to this report using the web address above. Non-members using the link will see a free summary and can join to view the full report. Other means of copying or distributing this report, in part or full, are not permitted.