CoQ10 and its activated form, ubiquinol, are among the most popular supplements in the U.S. They may be useful in treating congestive heart failure and preliminary evidence suggests other uses including improving "vitality," reversing side-effects of "statin" drugs, and preventing migraine headaches.
But choosing the best CoQ10 or ubiquinol product can be difficult. Among the 45 products tested in this Review alone, the suggested daily serving size ranged from 30 mg to 400 mg and many of the CoQ10 and ubiquinol products reviewed included "solubility enhancers" which may significantly increase absorption but can also cause side-effects of which you need to be aware. In an addition, our tests revealed that one product contained less CoQ10 than claimed -- just 78% of the amount listed on the label.
Among the products which passed our tests and were CL Approved, we found that you can pay as little as 7 cents to over $5 per 100 mg of CoQ10. The cost to get the same amount of ubiquinol, which tends to be a more expensive ingredient, ranged from 27 cents to $2.65. You can save a lot of money by choosing the right supplement!
You must join to get the full test results for CoQ10 and ubiquinol supplements along with ConsumerLab.com recommendations and quality ratings. You will get results for 18 CoQ10 and ubiquinol supplements selected by ConsumerLab.com and for 27 others which passed testing in our voluntary Quality Certification Program, as well as information about six products that are very similar to ones that passed our tests.
In this comprehensive review, you'll discover:
- Which CoQ10 and ubiquinol supplements failed testing and which passed
- CL's Top Picks, representing the best CoQ10 and ubiquinol supplements at lowest cost
- Which supplements have special ingredients which may increase their absorption (such as polysorbate 80) and/or bioavailability (such as black pepper extract) — and the pros and cons of these formulas
- CoQ10 and ubiquinol dosing for treating specific conditions
- How to take CoQ10 and ubiquinol to reduce side-effects and enhance absorption
- CoQ10 side-effects, drug interactions, and cautions