How do you choose the best magnesium supplement? ConsumerLab.com tested and reviewed many popular brands of magnesium and calcium magnesium supplements to help you avoid problems. One product contained only 45.1% of its listed magnesium and had other label inaccuracies. Another supplement would not properly break apart. One was contaminated with lead. Another made an illegal disease treatment claim. Fortunately, many other supplements were found to contain the magnesium they claimed, were free of lead contamination (which can occur in mineral supplements), and, if tablets, were able to properly break apart.
ConsumerLab.com then compared the magnesium supplements on cost, to help you find the best price and value. It found the cost to get an equivalent amount of magnesium ranged from 2 cents to well over $1. But cost didn't coincide with quality -- some very high quality magnesium supplements were identified that cost only pennies a day.
You also need to be aware that many forms of magnesium are used in supplements and some have been shown to be better absorbed than others or more likely to cause diarrhea -- a common side-effect. ConsumerLab.com provides you with this information and factors it into its review of magnesium products.
In this comprehensive report about magnesium and calcium-magnesium supplements, you'll get test results and quality ratings for 37 supplements (including 20 that passed our Voluntary Certification Program) and information about two other products similar to those tested. You'll learn:
- Which magnesium and calcium-magnesium supplements passed or failed ConsumerLab.com's testing and review
- Quality ratings and comparisons of magnesium supplements
- Important differences among forms of magnesium (e.g., magnesium aspartate and orotate, magnesium citrate, magnesium chloride, magnesium lactate and lactate dihydrate, and magnesium oxide)
- Which foods are rich in magnesium
- The causes and symptoms of magnesium deficiency
- The dosage of magnesium generally used in treating and preventing magnesium deficiency and other conditions
- Potential side-effects of magnesium supplements
- And more!
If you already are a member, SIGN IN